5 Great Reasons to Support Wakeman
1. Membership and program fees cover less than 50% of the
Club costs to administer programs and maintain facility operations. Even those who pay full membership and program fees benefit
from the generosity of hundreds of individual donors, foundations, and
businesses who support us each year.
2. State and federal funding is steadily declining. The Club currently receives less than 4% of its annual
budget from government funding. State and federal support for Boys & Girls
Club programming continues to decline, which means we rely on individuals now
more than ever before to subsidize program costs at the Club.
3. We play a meaningful role in developing tomorrow's
leaders.You don't have to look far in the community to find
teachers, doctors, town officials, business owners, and countless other Club
alumni who spent their childhood days at Wakeman and credit the Club for
putting them on the path to success, and in some cases, saving them from dire
consequences. Within our Clubhouses, you'll meet teens who are the first
in their families to graduate high school and attend college, middle schoolers
who found their passion for volunteering, and many others who count on the Club
for a safe place to learn, play, and grow.
4. The Club's footprint is expanding. With two clubhouse sites (one in Southport and one in
Bridgeport) and two school sites at Fairfield elementary schools, Wakeman also has exciting plans to rebuild the former North End Boys & Girls Club on Madison Ave in Bridgeport. Wakeman Boys & Girls Club's
presence and impact within the greater community continues to evolve. Bigger
feet require larger shoes and larger shoes cost more money...One more reason to
consider supporting our Over the Edge event!
5. Every donation - large or small - can make a difference. Together, all donations add up to more than $1.8 million each year to support life-changing programming for our community's young
Wakeman appreciates all of our committed donors and hopes to see you on September 14!